- Preparation time 50 mins
- Serves 4 people
- Download as PDF
1½ cup milk
1½ cup thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
3 whole eggs and 1 yolk
⅓ cup caster sugar + extra 2 tbsp
Cinnamon powder, for dusting
½ lemon, juiced and zested
1 punnet of blackberries or blackberry jam, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150C fan forced.
- Place milk, cream and vanilla into a pot and heat until just about to boil. Remove and infuse for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until just combined. Don’t over whisk so it’s too foamy as it will affect the presentation of the custard crust once it bakes.
- Whisk in the milk and cream mixture into the eggs.
- Pour the custard mixture into a 1L capacity baking dish of your choice and sprinkle over cinnamon. Carefully transfer to another baking dish to form a bain marie. Transfer to the oven and then fill the exterior tray half way up with water. It’s much easier to do at the oven to avoid spills.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the custard is just set with a slight giggle in the centre.
- Serve warm with a dollop of jam or combine the fresh blackberries with sugar and lemon zest and juice and macerate for 5 minutes before serving with the custard.
As seen on Everyday Gourmet with Justine Schofield.