The Perfect Basic Custard
Whether you're creating a custard based dessert or just a quick sweet treat, knowing how to make the perfect custard can set you up for a foolproof dessert option time and again.
- 6 egg yolks
- 300ml pure cream
- 300ml milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour (see tip)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- Combine cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to just a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk yolks, cornflour, vanilla and sugar together in a large heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in the hot cream mixture until smooth.
- Return mixture to cleaned saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and thickly coats the back of a spoon.
- Serve warm or transfer to a glass bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap (to prevent a skin from forming). Set aside to cool then refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Tip: For a thinner (Anglaise-style) custard, reduce cornflour to 1 tbs.