Bitter Melon Omelette
- 3 eggs
- 150g bitter melon, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Light soy sauce, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- Coriander, to taste
- Lightly whisk the eggs together with a fork or whisk. Season with fish sauce, light soy sauce and white pepper.
- In a non-stick pan, heat a little oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic until fragrant, a little colour doesn’t hurt.
- Add the bitter melon and sauté until slightly tender.
- Add the eggs and allow them to set. Move the solids around, allowing the raw egg to continue to cook. Taste a little to check your seasoning.
- Once the eggs are 90% cooked, slide the omelette onto a plate (they’ll continue to cook from the residual heat).
- Garnish with coriander. Great served with a side of rice and a little extra fish sauce.
By Mitch Orr