Broccoli Falafels with Buckwheat, Egg and Herb Salad
300g broccoli, coarsely chopped
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
½ cup chopped mint leaves, plus extra to serve
2 green onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp quinoa flour
BUCKWHEAT, EGG AND HERB SALAD
½ cup (85g) buckwheat kernels
1 bunch continental parsley, leaves chopped
1 bunch coriander, leaves chopped
1 small red onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup (125ml) Greek yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C (fan-forced) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place broccoli, chickpeas, mint, green onions and garlic into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Divide the mixture into 12 balls and shape into small patties approximately 1cm thick. Place onto prepared baking tray, spray both sides with cooking spray and bake 15 minutes. Turn over, bake a further 10 minutes. Set aside.
Buckwheat, Herb and Egg Salad
- Meanwhile, cook buckwheat in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and refresh with cold water. Set aside.
- Boil eggs for 5 minutes for medium boiled eggs. Drain, cool and peel. Cut in half. Set aside.
- Transfer buckwheat to a large salad bowl. Add parsley, coriander and onion and toss to mix evenly.
- Whisk lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic and oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle ¾ over the salad and mix well. Mix remaining into the yoghurt.
- Top buckwheat salad with eggs and serve with broccoli falafels and yoghurt. Garnish with extra mint.
- For this recipe to be 'heart healthy', use wholemeal spelt or any gluten free flour such as buckwheat.