Bubble and squeak with poached egg
A great way to use leftover potatoes, this bubble and squeak recipe will be your new go-to and what better than a poached egg on top!
- 4 poached eggs
- 600g potatoes, 2cm dice
- 2 small carrots, 1cm dice
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp horseradish cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100g brussel sprouts, roughly chopped
- 30g butter, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15 minutes, add the carrots and cook for another 5 minutes then add the peas. Cook for 2 minutes then drain and very roughly mash. Stir through the salt and pepper and horseradish.
- Heat the oil in a 28cm ovenproof non stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion and brussel sprouts until tender, then remove from the heat and combine with the potato mix.
- In the same frying pan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Spoon the vegetable mix into the pan and spread out over the base to the edges of the frying pan.
- Cook, without stirring, for 20 minutes or until the base is golden brown.
- Heat an oven grill to high heat. Place the bubble and squeak under the grill and cook until the top is light golden.
- Serve wedges of bubble and squeak topped with poached eggs and cracked black pepper.