Classic Pavlova with Lemon Curd
6 eggwhites (210g), at room temperature
330g (1 ½ cups) caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar
2 egg yolks
75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
80ml (1/3 cup) lemon juice
80g unsalted butter, chopped
4 kiwi fruit sliced
35g (¼ cup) slivered pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 150°C fan forced. Mark a 23cm circle onto a sheet of baking paper. Turn baking paper over and place onto an upturned large greased baking tray (this makes it easier for sliding pavlova off tray once cooked).
2. Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixture. Whisk on high speed until stiff peaks.
3. Gradually add sugar a tablespoon at a time, making sure sugar is dissolved between each addition. Once sugar is added, scrape down sides of bowl if needed. Whisk for a further 6 minutes, or until mixture is thick and glossy.
4. Add vinegar and whisk for further 2 minutes. Spoon meringue onto paper. Use a pallet knife to shape the meringue into peaks.
5. Place in oven, reduce oven temperature to 120°C fan forced and bake for 1 hour or until dry. Turn off oven and allow pavlova to cool completely. Meanwhile, make the lemon curd.
6. Place yolks, sugar, lemon rind and juice in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Place in a small saucepan with butter.
7. Place over medium heat, bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. When it comes to the boil, take off heat and strain through a fine sieve. Refrigerate until cold.
8. Place pavlova on serving plate, top with lemon curd, kiwifruit and sprinkle with pistachio.
Tip: When passionfruit is in season, drizzle with the pulp of 3 passionfruit.