Easter Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake
If you're looking for a showstopper to round out the Easter lunch with family and friends, this should definitely be on the shortlist. A variant of the Baked Vanilla Cheesecake from our "Masterclass" series, this easy take will be sure to "WOW" all of your guests.
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 125g butter, melted
- 750g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 300g sour cream
- 2 tbsp cornflour, sifted
- Chocolate wafer biscuits, cut diagonally into pieces, to serve
- Easter eggs, to serve
- Honeycomb, chopped, to serve
- 180g bar Caramello chocolate, broken into pieces
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup thickened cream
- 20g butter.
- Release the base from a 23cm (base measurement) spring form pan and invert. Secure the base back into the pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Place biscuits in a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add butter and process until combined. Transfer to prepared pan. Use the back of a spoon or a straight-sided glass, spread and press the biscuit mixture firmly over base. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream and flour. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined and scraping down the side of the bowl with a spatula.
- Pour cream cheese mixture into prepared pan. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until almost set in the centre. Turn oven off. Leave cheesecake in oven, with the door slightly ajar, until cooled (this will prevent the cake from cracking). Refrigerate overnight.
- On the day of serving, make the Choc-caramel sauce: place Caramello, brown sugar, cream and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until smooth and combined. Transfer to a heatproof jug. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thickened and cool.
- Remove cheesecake from pan. Drizzle choc-caramel sauce over cheesecake. Decorate top with chocolate wafer biscuits, Easter eggs and honeycomb. Serve with any remaining sauce for pouring over.
Tip: To cut cheesecakes, dip your knife into a bowl of hot water. Wipe dry. Use the hot knife to cut, reheating and drying the knife between slices.