Easy Custard and Berry Trifle
- 300ml pure cream
- 300ml milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cornflour (see tip)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest, plus extra zest to serve
- 9 jam mini rolls, cut into 3cm slices
- 250g fresh strawberries, hulled, halved
- 125g fresh blueberries
- 250g fresh raspberries
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachio kernels
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped
- Combine cream and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to just a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk yolks, cornflour, vanilla and sugar together in a large heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in the hot cream mixture until smooth.
- Return mixture to cleaned saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and thickly coats the back of a spoon.
- Serve warm or transfer to a glass bowl and cover surface with plastic wrap (to prevent a skin from forming). Set aside to chill in the fridge.
- Stir orange zest through the chilled custard.
- Layer half the jam roll slices on the base of a 2 litre (8-cup) capacity serving dish, pressing the cut surface of the rolls against the glass. Top with one-third of the custard. Layer three-quarters of the strawberries in the custard, pressing halves against the glass, and scatter with three-quarters of the blueberries. Repeat with another one-third of the custard and remaining jam rolls. Add remaining custard to top of jam rolls
- Top the trifle with dollops of cream. Scatter with raspberries and remaining strawberries and blueberries, pistachios and extra orange zest. Cover and refrigerate until required.
Tip: To allow custard to chill, cook night before needed and refrigerate overnight.