Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Egg Drop Soup is an incredibly easy dish to prepare and is also known as a Chinese comfort food including a different way to cook the egg. To cook the egg within the soup and create a great consistency, the egg is slowly poured in the broth and allowed to poach as you stir the liquid to mix the egg and ensure it doesn’t form a whole shape. Try it out for yourself!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 cups of reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 fresh corn cobs, kernels removed
- 1 tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 tsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Sliced shallots, to serve
- Sesame oil, to drizzle (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook ginger and garlic, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add corn and soy sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in cornflour mixture and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until broth is slightly thickened. Slowly drizzle beaten eggs into soup while gently stirring soup in a circular motion. Once all the egg has been added, remove from heat.
- Serve soup topped with shallots and drizzled with a little sesame oil and soy.