Egg in a Hole
This simple egg in a hole recipe is so easy to make, it only takes 10 minutes - giving you a quick brekkie you can eat on the go! Feel free to get creative and use whatever bread you have at home and swap out the trout for bacon or salmon.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup smooth ricotta
- 4 slices smoked trout
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, coriander or chives)
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Pepper, to taste
- Oil spray
- Using a cookie cutter or shot glass, cut a 3-inch hole in the centre of each slice of bread.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan over medium heat and spray with oil.
- Place the bread slices into the pan, cracking an egg into the centre of each. Cook until the bread is golden and the egg whites are set, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Dividing evenly, top with the smoked trout, smooth ricotta and fresh herbs. Season with pepper and serve.
Substitute smoked trout for smoked salmon and for an added fibre boost, try wholegrain bread.