Greek-style Egg Lemon Soup with Chicken and Greens
1 and 1/2 cup risoni pasta
3 litres chicken stock (homemade or store-bought)
2 small lemons
2 bay leaves
500g chicken thighs
2 cups chopped silverbeet
- Place stock in a pot and bring to boil. Add risoni and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Beat eggs together in a separate bowl. Add the lemon juice from the two small lemons and whisk together. Set aside.
- Reduce heat until stock stops boiling. Take a half cup measure of stock, careful not to scoop any risoni, and pour into egg mixture, whisking to combine. The mixture should remain smooth without any scrambled pieces of eggs.
- Add another ½ cup of stock to the eggs and whisk, repeating 3-4 times.
- Then pour egg mixture back into pot with risoni and stir. Simmer for 5 or so minutes, being careful to not boil it.
- Add silverbeet. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until soup thickens stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves.
- In the meantime, place a drizzle of olive oil and chicken thighs into a pan and cook until golden brown, turning as needed. Set aside and slice.
- Once soup is thickened, serve and place some shredded chicken on top of each bowl with a generous amount of chopped parsley. Enjoy!