Handmade Eggy Pasta with quick mushroom & beef ragu
- 4 x eggs
- 400gms of Plain Flour (Tipo 00 Strong flour is best)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 French shallot, diced
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 500gms of diced tender beef
- 500gms of button mushrooms, halved.
- 2 tbsp. of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 can (400gm) of chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- To make the pasta, pour the flour onto a clean work surface and make a well in the middle. Crack in the eggs and gently break apart the yolks with a fork. Mix together using your hands until a ball of dough is formed and then knead for 3-5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth.
- Bring the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap for 20 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep saucepan, fry off the onions and shallots until softened.
- Add the beef and cook, stirring frequently, until sealed (browned all over).
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste, and stir well, coating the meat, for a minute or two.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, then fill the can with water and add the water to the pot, too.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme, then put on the lid and bring to the boil.
- Allow to simmer for 20 minutes, before adding the mushrooms.
- While the sauce is simmering, roll out your pasta using a pasta machine or pasta attachment on your food processor. You can also roll the pasta thinly with a rolling pin before cutting, but this is a lot more work! (tip: Be sure to keep adding plenty of flour to stop the pasta from sticking to itself).
- Cut the pasta in the shapes you prefer – I like thick, hand cut pappardelle.
- Back to the sauce, once the mushrooms have been added, cook for a further 5 minutes with the lid on, before removing the lid.
- Season to taste, and then keep on a medium heat, stirring frequently, while you cook your pasta.
- To cook the pasta, bring a large pot of heavily salted water to the boil (the water should taste like the ocean).
- Add the pasta and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until al dente (just cooked).
- Drain the pasta and place in bowls, ready to serve.
- Spoon the sauce over the top, add some spare fresh thyme to serve and enjoy!