Korean Beef Bibimbap
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 180g baby spinach leaves
- 3 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup (60ml) oyster sauce
- 1½ tbsp salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 2 small Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 tbsp sriracha (chilli sauce) or gochujang, to serve
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add rice and stir to coat. Add 2½ cups water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes or until water has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Heat sesame oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until just wilted. Stir in half the sesame seeds and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in same pan over high heat. Cook mince, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add ginger and remaining garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until beef is coated and sauces are warmed through. Transfer to a bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat remaining olive oil in same frying pan over medium-high heat. Crack eggs one at a time into hot pan. Cook for 2 minutes, until whites set and are crispy around the edges.
- Divide rice among serving bowls. Arrange carrot, cucumber, sprouts, spinach and beef over rice. Top with eggs. Sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds and drizzle with sriracha sauce.
For a flavour hit, you can quick pickle the carrot and cucumber in about ¼ cup rice wine vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, and ½ tsp salt. Stir to combine and set aside for about 30 minutes.
Gochujang is available from the Asian aisle of large supermarkets or Asian grocers.