Manu's Lamington Soufflé
Manu's Lamington Soufflé
- Preparation time 80 mins
- Serves 4 people
- Download as PDF
- Melted butter or coconut oil, for greasing
- Finely desiccated coconut, plus extra
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, separated, plus the white from more 1 egg
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tbs coconut syrup
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 x 320g can coconut sweetened condensed milk
- 100ml cream
- 20g unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate
- For coconut jam, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Set to one side to cool.
- For the soufflé, separate the eggs, placing 5 whites into the bowl of an electric mixer and placing 4 yolks into a medium bowl. Add the plain flour to the yolks along with half the coconut jam and whisk until smooth.
- Pour milk into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Pour over egg yolks, whisking continuously. Pour back into the saucepan and cook over a medium low heat until mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Leave to cool completely, mixing occasionally so it doesn’t form a skin.
- Meanwhile prepare 4 x 1 cup capacity soufflé dishes by brushing with butter or coconut oil, using the brush in an upwards motion to create columns for the soufflé to rise on. Dust with desiccated coconut and tip out any excess.
- Beat the 5 egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer and to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar until it has dissolved.
- Fold half of the whipped egg whites into the yolk mixture until combined. Then gently fold the remaining egg white into the egg mixture, ensuring to incorporate as much air as possible. Evenly divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins, smooth the top and run your finger around the edges to remove any excess mixture.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 15-18 minutes or until lovely and puffed.
- For the chocolate sauce, place the cream and butter in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Finely chop chocolate and place in a bowl. Pour hot cream over the chocolate and leave to sit for 1-2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Pour into a serving jug.
- Serve the soufflé straight out of the oven, dusting the tops with desiccated coconut if desired and with a little pot of warm liquid chocolate on the side. Tell your guests to make a little divot in the top of the soufflé and to pour it into the center of the divot to enjoy.
Any remaining coconut jam can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Serving size 271g
- Energy 3390kJ 810kcal
- Protein 19g
- Total fat 46g
- Saturated fat 27.9g
- Carbs (total) 79.9g
- Carbs (sugar) 74.9g
- Sodium 233mg
- Fibre 0.7g
All nutrition values are per serve.