Mexican Sweet Potato Family Hash Brown
¼ cup (60ml) milk
1 tbsp taco seasoning mix
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups (approx. 500g) grated and firmly packed sweet potato
2 cups (200g) shredded tasty cheese
2 green onions, finely sliced
⅓ cup finely chopped coriander leaves, plus extra for garnish
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Guacamole and hot sauce, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C (fan-forced).
2. Whisk 4 eggs, milk, seasoning and garlic in a large bowl. Add sweet potato, 1 ½ cups cheese, green onions and coriander. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof frying pan (20cm base/26cm top) over a medium heat, swirling to coat base and sides of pan. Add sweet potato mixture. Flatten top and cook for about 5 minutes or until base is golden.
4. Form four indents in mixture with the back of a spoon. Scatter with remaining cheese. Crack an egg into each hole. Cook in oven for 15 minutes, or until hash brown is firm to touch and eggs whites are set.
5. Serve with guacamole and hot sauce. Garnish with extra coriander leaves.
- Use a non-stick pan for easy serving.
- Top with guacamole and coriander just before serving.
- Can be served warm or cold. Great for a picnic or lunchbox.
- For added spice, add 1 finely chopped green chilli with the onions