Orange and Cinnamon Crème Brulee
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 ½ cups low fat milk
- ½ an orange, rind removed with peeler
- ½ a lemon, rind removed with peeler
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 vanilla bean split in half and seeds scraped out
- 1/3 cup caster sugar, plus caster sugar for dusting
- Combine the milk, cream, orange and lemon rind, cinnamon and vanilla bean seeds in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Pour the slightly cooled milk mix into the egg mix and combine well with a whisk.
- Return mix back into the saucepan, heat and stir with a wooden spoon until thick and mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon – do not over heat or boil as this will curdle the egg.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean jug. Pour mixture into ramekins and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- Sprinkle evenly with sugar and caramelise with a blowtorch or place under a hot grill to form caramelised crust to serve.