Panettone bread and butter pudding
Get creative the next time you make bread and butter pudding and upgrade it with panettone. This Italian twist will up your dessert game and if you're after more alternatives, swap out the panettone for brioche or Christmas cake to get rid of any Christmas leftovers.
- 6 eggs
- 1 x 900g Panettone
- 1 cup full cream milk
- ¼ cup of caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 200g of fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- ¼ of a cup of coffee liqueur or strong black coffee (optional)
- Grease a 30x20cm baking dish with butter or olive oil and preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, caster sugar and coffee liqueur (if using).
- Slice the panettone into thick slices, and then tear into large chunks.
- Pour about half a cup of the egg mix into the bottom of the baking dish and swirl around to coat.
- One at a time, dip your panettone pieces into the egg mix and place in the baking dish. Repeat until the dish is full.
- Pour the remaining egg mix over the panettone and top with cherries and a sprinkle of caster sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the egg is set and the top is golden.
- Serve immediately with a dusting of icing sugar and some custard or ice cream!