Adam Liaw's Pea and Ham Eggs Recipe
Writer, television presenter and cook, Adam Liaw, is taking to the kitchen with his son Christopher to show that making delicious meals is all about spending time with your sous chef rather than creating a perfect dish.
“We actually cook together quite a lot at home, but recently it’s become something we do even more because it’s a fun thing to do as a family, and with the kids. When kids get to a certain age, like Christopher, they love to get involved in cooking certain things and his favourite food at the moment is waffles – and he admits that my waffles are his favourite! We always try and make the food interesting too, like my Pea and Ham Eggs that are inspired by Christopher’s favourite book, Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Seuss.”
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 100g thick cut ham or bacon, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Toasted sourdough
- Heat your oven to 200°C (fan-forced).
- Heat a small ovenproof frying pan over medium heat, add the oil and fry the ham or bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Place the stock in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the peas and simmer for 3 minutes until the peas are tender. Reserve about a ¼ cup of the peas and transfer the remainder to a blender, along with the stock. Blend to a smooth puree (be very careful blending hot ingredients – start slow and allow steam to escape) then season with salt to taste.
- Transfer the warm pea puree to the same frying pan that you used to fry the ham or bacon and make 4 small indentations in the top of the puree. Crack an egg into each and bake in the oven for 8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Scatter with the reserved peas and ham, and serve with parmesan, black pepper and toasted sourdough.
This recipe is part of a collection of delicious recipes we've curated with some of our favourite chefs to help you make a Meal to Remember with your family or friends at home. To see the whole collection click here.