Poached Egg & Vegetable Fritters Recipe
Vegetable Fritters with Poached Egg
1 large zucchini, trimmed, sliced
2 cups (about 300g) diced pumpkin
1 carrot, trimmed, sliced
1 cup mint leaves
3 green onions, thinly sliced
½ cup frozen peas, thawed
1½ cups panko breadcrumbs
½ cup self-raising flour
150g feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place zucchini in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a clean kitchen cloth and squeeze, over a bowl or the sink, to remove excess liquid. (This prevents the fritters from being soggy). Place zucchini in a large bowl.
- Add pumpkin, carrot and mint to food processor and process until finely chopped. Add to zucchini with onion, peas, breadcrumbs, flour and feta. Lightly whisk 1 egg in a small bowl and add to vegetable mixture. Season. Stir until combined. Form 1/3 cups of the vegie mixture into fritters and place on a tray.
- Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook fritters in batches, adding more oil if needed, for 3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to prepared tray and place in oven to cook for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Reduce heat to low, and when bubbles subside, use a spoon to stir the water until a whirlpool forms. Break an egg into a small bowl and gently slide into whirlpool. Cook for 3 minutes or until white is cooked. Use a slotted spoon to transfer egg to a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Stack fritters on serving plates. Top each with a poached egg and serve with green salad and lemon wedges.
You can make smaller, snack-sized fritters if you like, just use 2 tablespoonsful of the mixture for each. Fritters will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.