Poached eggs with potato rosti
- 750g Desiree potatoes
- 3 green onions (shallots), finely chopped
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbs grapeseed oil
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- Extra chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve
A fantastic combination of hot potato rosti topped with poached eggs. Mouthwatering to look at, even better to eat!
- Preheat oven 200°C fan-forced. Peel and coarsely grate potatoes. Place in a sieve and firmly squeeze to remove excess liquid. Place grated potatoes into a large bowl. Add green onions, parsley and cayenne pepper. Season, drizzle with 1 tbs oil and stir to combine.
- Pour remaining 1 tbs oil into a 20cm ovenproof frying pan. Brush to coat base and sides of pan then heat over medium heat. Spoon potato mixture into pan and gently press to form an even layer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes or until the base is golden and potato is almost cooked through. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the top is golden and potato is tender.
- In the last minutes of cooking, poach the eggs in a large saucepan half filled with water for 3 minutes for a soft yolk or 4 minutes for a semi-set yolk.
- Slide the potato rosti onto a board. Cut into quarters and arrange on serving plates. Top each wedge with poached egg and spinach leaves. Sprinkle with parsley, season and serve.