Protein Packed Banana Porridge
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk, plus extra to add during cooking
- 1 banana, preferably overripe
- 1-2 eggs (use 2 eggs if they are small)
- Cinnamon to taste
- Honey or maple syrup to taste
- Finely slice or mash the banana and set aside. Whisk the egg/s and set aside.
- Place the oats, water and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring gently, for about 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to soften and thicken.
- Add the banana, whisked egg and a pinch of cinnamon and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, until the ingredients have been thoroughly incorporated and the egg has cooked into the porridge. If the porridge is too thick, add extra water or milk.
- Serve the porridge hot with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. Add toppings as desired.
Recipe by Monique Cormack
- For a dairy free breakfast, simply use a non-dairy milk like almond, rice or coconut milk.
- If there are any leftovers, they can be popped in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat over the stove or in the microwave, adding extra milk and/or water to thin the mixture out a little as needed.
- Suggested toppings: berries, sliced banana, yoghurt, peanut butter, chopped nuts, seeds.