Quinoa, Spinach & Egg Bake
If you're after a simple baked lunch you can prepare ahead or an easy family dinner that everyone will love, our Quinoa, Spinach & Egg Bake has you covered.
- 8 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 310ml (1 ¼ cups) skim milk
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 120g (4 cups) spinach, roughly chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (see Tips)
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 50g (1/2 cup) grated reduced-fat cheese
- 200g cherry truss tomatoes
- Olive oil spray
- Large salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C. Drizzle olive oil into a 20cm (8-cup capacity, 7cm deep) round baking dish (see Tips) and swirl around to coat evenly.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add quinoa and spinach into the baking dish and pour over the egg mixture, stirring gently to combine. Cover with a lid or foil and bake until just set for around 30 minutes. Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for a further 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a frying pan, spray with olive oil. Add cherry tomatoes and cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes or until slightly softened. Serve bake topped with extra spinach leaves and tomatoes and a large salad.
TIP: Quinoa can be replaced with cooked brown rice. For ease of serving, you can bake this in a 20cm springform cake pan.