- Preparation time 20 mins
- Serves 4 people
- Download as PDF
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 250g middle bacon rashers, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 5 x 72g wholegrain 2-minute noodles, discard flavour sachet
- 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced chicken stock, warmed
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat cooking cream
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook bacon, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, bring a large lidded frying pan of water to the boil, reduce heat to low. Gently crack 4 eggs into the water, cover and cook for 2-3 minutes or until whites are set and yolks are still runny. Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs to a plate.
- Break up noodles into a microwave safe bowl and pour over the hot stock. Microwave for 2 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Separate the remaining 4 eggs, placing yolks in a bowl (keep whites for another use). Whisk cream and cheese into yolks and season with salt and pepper.
- Add noodles and some of the cooking broth to the pan with the bacon and add cream mixture. Cook, tossing, over low heat, until cream mixture is warmed through and noodles are coated. (Adding more cooking broth to loosen if needed.) Remove from heat.
- Serve carbonara topped with a poached egg and scattered with parsley and extra cheese.
- Serving size 565g
- Energy 5230kJ 1250kcal
- Protein 37.6g
- Total fat 97.1g
- Saturated fat 40.6g
- Carbs (total) 54.8g
- Carbs (sugar) 3.1g
- Sodium 2110mg
- Fibre 8g
- Vitamin D 6.9µg
All nutrition values are per serve.