Savoury Zucchini Pancakes topped with Bacon, Basil and Balsamic Vinegar
A savoury twist on the classic pancake!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, coarsely grated
- Olive oil spray
- 3 rindless bacon rashers, excess fat trimmed
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled, sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Pine nuts to taste
- Combine the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Make a well in the centre of the mixture.
- Whisk the egg and buttermilk until just combined, then add to the dry ingredients. Add the zucchini and stir to combine.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Spray with oil. Spoon one-quarter of the zucchini mixture into the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Turn and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture, reheating the pan between batches.
- Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crisp.
- Combine the quartered cherry tomatoes, avocado, basil, red onion, garlic and vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salad and bacon on top of the pancakes, sprinkling over pine nuts to taste, adding a touch of chilli if you like a bit of spice.
- Add balsamic over the pancake and a little on the plate for presentation.
For a classic take on pancakes be sure to check out our Best Pancakes recipe today!