- Preparation time 15 mins
- Serves 1 person
- Download as PDF
We teamed up with the 'Prince of Pasta' Mitch Orr on the ultimate spaghetti carbonara recipe as part of our Millennial Chefs recipe collection. This easy 15 minute carbonara will be your new go-to recipe!
- 2 large egg yolks
- 70g spaghetti
- 100g guanciale*, cut into 3cm strips
- 120g pecorino, finely grated
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- Kampot pepper**
- Pinch of ground long pepper***
- In a heavy based pan, add the olive oil and the guanciale. Over a low-medium heat, fry the guanciale until crisp and golden.
- Place the egg yolks and pecorino in a mixing bowl. Add the long pepper and a couple good cracks of kampot pepper.
- Cook the spaghetti in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve some cooking water.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the bowl with the egg yolks, mix aggressively immediately. The heat from the pasta will melt the pecorino and cook the egg yolks.
- Add the guanciale and mix in. Adjust consistency using a little of the cooking water from the pasta. Season to taste with salt and cracked pepper.
- Serve immediately.
By Mitch Orr
* Guanciale is an Italian cured meat product prepared from pork jowl or cheeks. Its name is derived from guancia, the Italian word for 'cheek'. Use bacon as a substitute.
** Kampot pepper is a cultivar of pepper (piper nigrum) grown and produced in Kampot Province, Cambodia. This can be sourced from speciality supermarkets.
*** Long pepper is another member of the pepper family with a sweet, fragrant and musk-like aroma.
- Serving size 351g
- Energy 6030kJ 1441kcal
- Protein 60.8g
- Total fat 118g
- Saturated fat 42.2g
- Carbs (total) 35.4g
- Carbs (sugar) 1.2g
- Sodium 2740mg
- Fibre 2.5g
All nutrition values are per serve.