Steamed Egg Custard with Sesame Garlic Bok Choy
- 6 eggs
- 400g chicken stock
- salt to season
- 3 bok choy
- Oil for frying
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 small chillies, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Crispy shallots
- Set a bamboo steamer over a pot of boiling water.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and chicken stock, season to taste.
- Strain the egg mix into serving bowls or two take away containers, cover and steam for about 6-10 minutes until just set. They will slightly wobble like tofu when done.
- While the custard is steaming, divide the bok choy into quarters and steam for 2-3 minutes before setting aside to dry before stir frying.
- In a wok or frying pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add the garlic and the chilli, then quickly stir and add the bok choy and coat in the oil.
- Once coated and pan is still hot, add the fish sauce, toss the bok choy and add the light soy sauce.
- Turn off the heat and drizzle over some sesame oil.
- To plate, spoon a large piece of the custard onto the plate. Place the bok choy next to the custard, then top with sesame seeds and crispy shallots.
By Jo Barrett