Summer Vegetable Tart
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry thawed
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup single cream
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¾ cup frozen broad beans, thawed and podded
- 1 small bunch (total weight 100g) asparagus, trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
Mixed Beet Salad
- 1 small bunch heirloom beetroot, scrubbed
- 2 radishes
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup baby mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 150°C fan forced. Lightly grease a 24cm fluted, loose bottom tart tin. Place the pastry sheets on a large piece of non-stick baking paper, overlapping the pastry by 3cm. Roll out the pastry between two sheets of non-stick baking paper until large enough to line the tin. Carefully place in the tin and gently press into base and side. Trim the edges with a small sharp knife. Place the tart on a baking tray and prick the pastry base with a fork.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with baking weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the weights and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the pastry is dry. Remove from the oven and set aside while making the filling.
- To make the filling, whisk the eggs, cream, parmesan, half the ricotta, parsley, salt and pepper until combined. Pour over the base, scatter with peas, broad beans and asparagus and dot the remaining ricotta over the top. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until cooked through. It will still have a slight wobble. Set aside to cool completely. Refrigerate until cold.
MIXED BEET SALAD
- Thinly slice the beetroot and radish on a mandolin or with a peeler and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper.
- Top the vegetable tart with the beet salad and herbs to serve.
- You can also use 1 sheet of Careme Sour Cream Shortcrust Pastry for an extra special result. This can be found in independent grocers.
- If your pastry gets too soft, refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- If heirloom or baby beetroot is unavailable, you can use regular beetroot and shaved baby carrot for extra colour.
- Serve any excess beet salad on the side or toss through a larger salad.