Tea eggs with Asian noodles
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice
- 1 cup (250ml) dark soy
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- ¼ rice wine vinegar
- 2 black tea bags
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 8 eggs, at room temperature
- 350g fresh egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed
- 200g Asian mushrooms chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced ginger
- 4 green onions, shredded
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- Baby purple shiso, optional, to serve
1. Place Chinese five spice, soy, brown sugar, vinegar and tea bags in a medium saucepan. Add the water and bring to the boil over high heat.
2. Add the eggs and cook for 3 minutes. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon. Place in a bowl and gently tap the shell with the back of a spoon. Return the eggs to the boiling cooking liquid and remove from heat. Cover and leave for at least 2 hours to marinate and cool.
3. Remove 1 cup of the cooking liquid and set aside. Discard remaining cooking liquid.
4. Cook noodles according to packet instructions. Refresh and set aside.
5. Heat oil in a large wok or frying pan. Add broccolini and cook for 3 minutes, then add mushrooms. Cook for another 3 minutes. Add ginger and reserved cooking liquid and cook for 1 minute.
6. To serve, peel the eggs and halve some of them. Divide noodles and vegetables between bowls. Drizzle with cooking liquid. Top with eggs, scatter with green onions, chilli and shiso.