The Best Pancakes Recipe
How to make classic pancakes
Pancakes are very easy to make from scratch so next time you're in the mood for pancakes, leave the packet mix on the supermarket shelf and give this recipe a go.
This is a classic recipe that makes light and fluffy pancakes and only calls on simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Once you've mastered the basic pancake, you can get more and more adventurous with our sweet and savoury topping suggestions below.
When making pancakes, it all comes down to the batter. If the batter is too thick, the pancakes will be fat and doughy. If it's too runny, the pancakes will fill too much of the pan and be hard to flip. Test the batter consistency by lifting up some of the mixture with a spoon to see how easily it runs off. It should be thick but still able to run off the spoon.
Makes 12 pancakes
- 1½ cups of plain flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 50 grams of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and sugar together. In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, milk, butter and vanilla together. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and whisk in the milk mixture to make a smooth batter.
- Heat a large, lightly greased non-stick frying pan over a low-medium heat. Working in batches of three at a time, pour ¼ cups of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes for 1-2 minutes, until bubbles break on the surface and the underside is golden brown. Flip the pancakes over and cook for 1 minute and remove from the pan onto a plate. Keep a clean tea towel over the plate of cooked pancakes to keep them warm.
- Stack and serve the pancakes with maple syrup and blueberries or the topping of your choice. If you're looking for something more gourmet, choose from some of our sweet and savoury topping ideas below.
Pimp your pancakes with these six sweet & savoury pancake toppings!
- Coconut yoghurt, granola and nectarine
- Mascarpone, passionfruit curd and raspberries
- Cream cheese and strawberry compote
- Roast cherry tomatoes, ricotta, baby rocket and balsamic glaze
- Garlic mushrooms, Persian fetta and chives
- Kimchi, fried egg and chilli sauce