Indian Tomato and Ginger Biriyani with Eggs
Spice up your everyday meals with this delicious Indian tomato and ginger biryani with eggs recipe that everyone will love!
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 brown onion, halved lengthways and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- 4 eggs, soft boiled (see tip) and peeled
- 250g green beans, trimmed
- Plain yoghurt, optional, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add spices, rice and tomato and stir to coat. Add water and stir. Cover with a lid, and reduce heat to medium-low, allowing it to cook for 30 minutes. Add the eggs, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes or until rice is cooked and eggs are warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans in boiling salted water for 4–6 minutes or until just cooked. Drain and shred. Set aside.
- Fluff up rice with a fork and serve topped with beans. Cut eggs in half and place on top. Serve with coriander, chilli, yoghurt and lime.
For the best soft-boiled eggs, bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add eggs and simmer for 6 minutes. Drain and stand in cold water. Crack shells and gently peel.