Effective date: 23 August 2018
Open and transparent management of personal information
Anonymity and pseudonymity
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, individuals have the option of not identifying themselves when entering into transactions with Australian Eggs.
Collection of solicited personal information and sensitive information
‘Personal information’ is defined as information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable (whether true or not, whether recorded in a material form or not). For example, an individual’s name, signature, address, telephone number, date of birth, medical records, bank account details, employment details and commentary or opinion about a person.
‘Sensitive information’ is a subset of personal information and is defined as:
- information or an opinion (that is also personal information) about an individual’s:
- racial or ethnic origin;
- political opinions;
- membership of a political association;
- religious beliefs or affiliations;
- philosophical beliefs;
- membership of a professional or trade association;
- membership of a trade union;
- sexual orientation or practices; or
- criminal record,
- health information about an individual, genetic information (that is not otherwise health information), biometric information that is to be used for the purpose of automated biometric verification or biometric identification, or biometric templates.
Australian Eggs will only collect personal information that is necessary for the functions of Australian Eggs. Information will only be collected with consent.
Australian Eggs may collect information for employment purposes only on memberships of professional or trade organisations and memberships of political associations.
Australian Eggs will not collect sensitive information about an individual unless the individual gives specific consent. Such information will be held under the strictest security and is only viewed by staff charged with managing that area of Australian Eggs operations.
Australian Eggs collects information including:
- Employees and Australian Eggs Board members: name, contact details, skills, qualifications accreditations, employment history, personal references, Tax File Number, bank account and superannuation fund information, and records of workplaces injuries and compensation claims;
- Australian egg levy payers: names, contact details and ABN;
- Australian Eggs Members: names, contact details, ABN, hen numbers as at 30 June each year and layer farming systems;
- Australian Eggs Associate Members: names, contact details and an outline of the nature of goods or services provided by each Associate Member;
- QA Licensees: names, contact details, ABN, hen numbers, farming practices and the results of audits and corrective action requirements, if any;
- ELIP Users: any labelling artwork submitted via the Egg labelling Integrity Panel (ELIP) website is viewed strictly by members of the Egg labelling Integrity Panel only;
- Visitors to the Australian Eggs website: information gathered is statistical and only used in aggregate – (that is the information does not identify an individual). it is used only to determine how the website may be used to improve Australian Eggs services; and
- Other entities dealing with Australian Eggs: names and contact details only except in the case of close business associates where it is appropriate to hold more information.
Australian Eggs treats information relating to flock size, farming practices, and results of audits and corrective action requirements as strictly confidential. Australian Eggs will only use and/or disclose such information (in aggregate form only) for purposes connected to its programs. The information is otherwise held securely and not disclosed externally other than to:
- third party contractors involved in Australian Eggs activities on an as needs basis and subject to confidentiality obligations; or
- as required or permitted by law.
Dealing with unsolicited personal information
Australian Eggs may retain unsolicited information if it relates to a core Australian Eggs function. Australian Eggs will provide the individual notification of the receipt of unsolicited information where contact details supplied are current and correct.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Information held by Australian Eggs will only be used or disclosed for the purpose of providing services to Australian egg levy payers consistent with its programs and disseminating information on relevant egg industry news, events or promotions and alerts.
Subject to the above, information will not be shared with a third party without the consent of the individual or organisation unless it is requested by an Australian Government Department.
Credit card information provided for the purposes of purchasing services or materials from Australian Eggs is destroyed immediately after use and not stored.
Employment files for Australian Eggs employees and Australian Eggs Board members are considered sensitive information and are held under the strictest security with full access limited only to the individual, the Managing Director, and the HR Manager. Australian Eggs financial auditors may view certain financial information under supervision only.
Australian Eggs does expect employees to share mobile phone numbers with each other in order to facilitate Australian Eggs business. Phone numbers are not to be provided to third parties without the express permission of the employee.
Australian Eggs does not collect personal information for the purpose of direct marketing other than promotional material specifically related to Australian Eggs’ services and/or egg production in Australia. Individuals are provided with the opportunity to opt-out from receiving Australian Eggs correspondence.
Cross-border disclosure of personal information
Australian Eggs will apply all points of the Australian Privacy Principals in dealing with request for data outside of Australia.
Adoption, use or disclosure of government related identifiers
Australian Eggs does not adopt identifiers assigned by government or other agencies (i.e. Medicare numbers) as its own.
Quality of personal information
Australian Eggs will take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information it collects uses and discloses is accurate, complete and up to date.
Security of personal information
Australian Eggs takes measures to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Security measure employed include up-to–date software security, password protections, IT back-ups physical security such as locks, staff training , staff policies covering IT use and security, and physical security.
Australian Eggs will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer required.
Correction of personal information
Australian Eggs provides individuals and organisations with a general right to access their personal information and the right to have that information corrected if it is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date.