The key conclusions of the CSIRO research outputs were that Australians view the egg industry as:
- making a positive contribution in terms of being an affordable, nutritious staple in the Australian diet, as well as making a positive economic contribution; and
- having impacts in terms of animal welfare, environmental management and the provision of accurate information about the industry.
The CSIRO research outputs also identified pathways to building deeper community trust, as set out in the graphic below. The practical impact of the CSIRO findings are that the egg industry must demonstrate:
- responsiveness to community sentiment by working to maintain contributions and minimising impacts;
- the manner in which the egg industry is regulated and that it supports the development of appropriate regulation; and
- it is working hard to maximise the contributions and minimise the impacts of the industry.