Chicken & Pork Terrine with Egg Centre
This summer, arm yourself with delicious recipes for both entertaining and appealing to the family. Our Summer terrine combines chicken and pork mince with an eggy centre, perfect for serving up as an entree to guests or as a main meal paired with a creamy salad like a potato salad or a Caesar.
- 18 long slices streaky bacon
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 500g chicken mince
- 300g pork mince
- 1/3 cup (50g) shelled pistachio, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (35g) dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp brandy (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 6 medium boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup to brush
- Chervil, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 160°C fan forced. Lightly grease a 25cm x 9cm (1.5 litre-capacity) loaf pan. Arrange 10 strips of bacon across the base, slightly overlapping. Line the ends with 4 slices each.
2. In a large bowl combine the garlic, breadcrumbs, milk, chicken, pork, pistachios, cranberries, thyme, egg, brandy, if using, salt and pepper. Using clean hands work the mixture together, making sure all ingredients are combined. Place one third of mixture into the lined tin. Place eggs, upside down, along the centre of the terrine, trimming the ends if necessary.
3. Press the remaining mince on top of the eggs. Lay the overhanging bacon over the mince, pressing down. Cover or wrap the terrine with foil and place into a baking dish. Pour hot water to come halfway up the tin. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until juices run clear when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then carefully drain any excess liquid off the terrine and turn out of the tin. And place on a large, lined baking tray.
4. Increase oven to 200°C fan forced. Brush bacon with maple and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until golden. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate overnight.
6. To serve unmould and slice. Serve with chervil.
This terrine will keep for up to 5 days when refrigerated.
This dish would be beautifully complimented with a serve of creamy potato salad on the side.