Classic Vanilla Slice with Passionfruit Icing Recipe
- 2 sheets frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups pure cream
- 60g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- ⅓ cup cornflour
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 20g butter, melted
- 2 ½ tablespoons passionfruit pulp (about 2-3 passionfruit)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Place each pastry sheet on a large oven tray lined with baking paper. Cover with baking paper and weigh down with another tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Cool on a rack.
- Meanwhile, place the milk, cream, butter, vanilla and sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat to until sugar dissolves, then bring to just below boiling point. Remove from heat.
- Whisk cornflour and yolks together in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture to combine. Return to saucepan and cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Line a 22cm square cake pan with 2 long strips of baking paper, allowing 2cm overhang on all sides. Trim pastry sheets to fit snugly in pan. Place 1 sheet in the base. Pour in warm custard mixture. Top with pastry sheet and press down gently. Chill for 4 hours, or until set firm.
- Meanwhile, to make the passionfruit icing, place icing sugar and butter in a bowl. Stir in passionfruit pulp until smooth. Spread icing over slice. Chill for 30 minutes or until set. Lift slice from pan. Cut into squares or rectangles.