Crushed Raspberry Semifreddo (or Ice Cream Log)
As the weather heats up, a Semifreddo is the perfect way to end a meal or just splurge with dessert. This chilled Italian delicacy with crushed raspberries will be your new go-to summer treat!
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 500ml (2 cups) thickened cream
- 300g fresh raspberries, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp sugar, extra
- Freeze-dried raspberries, crushed to serve
- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- Pink gel food colouring
- Grease a wide load tin (6cm D x 19cm L x 9cm W) and line it with baking paper, leaving a 5cm overhang at each long end.
- Place eggs, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a heatproof bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan over simmering water over low heat. Using hand-held beaters, whisk for 4 minutes or until thick and creamy. Remove from heat and whisk for a further 3 minutes, or until cool.
- Place cream in a large bowl and whisk until thickened. Add the egg mixture into the cream and gently fold to combine.
- Place half the raspberries and sugar in a small bowl and crush with a fork. Add the crushed raspberries to the cream mixture and gently fold to combine. Pour into prepared tin, scatter with remaining raspberries (they will sink as it freezes). Cover and freeze overnight.
- Preheat oven to 150°C fan forced.
- Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk on high speed until stiff peaks.
- Gradually add sugar a tablespoon at a time, making sure the sugar is dissolved between each addition. Once all the sugar is added, use a spatula to scrape down sides of bowl. Whisk for a further 6 minutes, or until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Add the vinegar and whisk for further 2 minutes. Brush 3 stripes of pink food colouring into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm nozzle. Add meringue mixture. Line a baking tray with baking paper and pipe meringue kisses onto tray.
- Place kisses in oven, reduce oven temperature to 120°C fan forced and bake for 30 minutes or until dry.
- Invert semifreddo onto a serving platter and top with meringue kisses, extra raspberries and crushed freeze-dried raspberries. Serve immediately.
Tip: Semifreddo will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.