Egg and ham family pie
Impress your friends with a quick and easy Egg and Ham Family Pie recipe that is sure to keep everyone at the table happy and full!
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 125g butter or lard
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 200g good quality leg ham from the bone, chopped
- 6 eggs
- Extra egg whisked, to brush pastry
- Sea salt flakes
- Tomato chutney or caramelised onion chutney, to serve
- To make pie crust, place flour and salt into a large bowl. Melt butter or lard with water in a small saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Pour immediately over flour and stir until well combined and a dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Form 2/3 pastry into a 3cm thick round disc. Repeat with remaining pastry. Wrap in plastic film and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Place a baking tray into oven. Grease 20cm (base measurement) 5 cup capacity round baking dish. Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tender but not coloured.
- Roll larger piece of pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until large enough to line prepared baking dish. Place leek and ham into base of pie, then crack eggs into pie. Roll remaining piece of pastry out until large enough to cover pie. Seal pastry edges together by firmly pressing a fork around edge and trim pastry. Brush pie with whisked egg. Season top with sea salt flakes.
- Place pie onto hot baking tray and bake for 40 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve with tomato chutney or caramelised onion chutney.