Egg, Bacon And Veggie Pie
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 350g piece kent pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1-2cm pieces
- 250g middle bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs, to serve
- 1½ sheets shortcrust pastry, just thawed
- 1½ sheets puff pastry, just thawed
- 10 eggs
- 200g grape tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 200°C conventional/180°C fan forced.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pumpkin for 6-8 minutes or until just tender. Add bacon, leek, garlic, thyme and cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until leeks are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Grease a 17cm x 22cm (base measurement) rectangular baking dish. Line base and sides with the shortcrust pastry.
- Cut puff pastry into 2.5cm wide strips. Cut half the strips in half length ways to make thinner strips. Using the picture as a guide, arrange pastry strips to create a lattice pattern.
- Add pumpkin mixture to pastry case. Make slight indentations in the mixture and crack in nine of the eggs, being careful not to break yolks. Add tomatoes.
- Beat remaining egg. Brush a little egg around edge of pie. Top with the lattice pastry and trim pastry to fit. Brush pastry with egg. Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is set. Sprinkle with extra thyme sprigs.
This pie is delicious served with a tomato chutney and a green salad.