- Preparation time 100 mins
- Serves 15 people
- Download as PDF
This super easy to make banana bread is the perfect recipe to bake for mid-week snacks or morning tea. Our recipe is for two loaves, which means you can eat one now and store one in the freezer for later. We've also upped the ante on the traditional banana bread by including instructions for a delicious caramel bananas to decorate the top of the loaf with, for those times you want to get a little fancy and try something different.
250g unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
2 ½ cups (550g) brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 ½ cups (375g) plain flour
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice
3 cups mashed over-ripe banana (approx. 8 medium bananas)
2 under ripe bananas
40g unsalted butter, chopped
⅓ cup (75g) brown sugar, firmly packed
⅓ cup (80ml) thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C (fan-forced). Grease two 14 x 23cm (top measurement) loaf pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed for 5-7 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flours, soda and mixed spice and fold into cake batter along with mashed banana. Divide evenly among prepared pans. Smooth over tops.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove. Stand in pans 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
PLAIN BANANA BREAD
- Serve plain banana bread warm or cold with softened butter. Alternatively, wrap loaf tightly in cling film and place inside an airtight container or bag. Label and freeze for up to 2 months.
CARAMEL BANANA TOPPING
- To make caramel bananas, peel and slice bananas into 1cm thick diagonal slices.
- Melt half the butter in a medium frypan over medium heat. Add bananas and cook until edges turn golden brown. Remove from the pan.
- Add remaining butter, sugar and cream and stir until sugar is dissolved. Gently boil for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
- Arrange bananas over the top of one banana bread and spoon sauce over the top. Serve with extra sauce and cream or ice cream.
- Bananas are best when they are over-ripe.
- Mixed spice can be replaced with ground cinnamon, if preferred.
- Plain banana bread will keep for up to one week, stored in an airtight container. Defrost in refrigerator overnight, slice and serve. Alternatively, slice and warm in microwave for 30 seconds on High.
- Serving size 160g
- Energy 2060kJ 492kcal
- Protein 6.3g
- Total fat 18.5g
- Saturated fat 11.3g
- Carbs (total) 73.3g
- Carbs (sugar) 46g
- Sodium 259mg
- Fibre 2.2g
All nutrition values are per serve.