Lunchbox Friendly Berry Banana Crumble Muesli Bars
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 100mL extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 3/4 cup (110g) mixed seeds such as linseeds, sunflower seeds and sesame
- 1 cup gluten free (160g) or wholemeal plain flour
- 1 cup (86g) quinoa flakes
- 1 cup (52g) flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup (52g) desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup berries, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a large baking dish (20cm x 20cm) with greaseproof paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine all wet ingredients and whisk well.
- In another large bowl combine all dry ingredients, mix, then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix again.
- Pour half the mix into the baking dish, press out evenly using your hands then place in the oven to cook for 10 minutes.
- Whilst cooking mix together ingredients for filling.
- Once base is cooked, pour in the filling and then top with remainder of muesli mix. Move around a little so some berries poke through if you wish, then place in oven to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in tin, before slicing and serving.
- Store in the fridge up to 5 days.
- If using butter, melt beforehand.
- If quinoa flakes aren’t on hand, use whole rolled oats, you may need a touch more olive oil, melted butter, or an extra egg if using oats as they absorb liquid more rapidly.
- Fruit filling can be swapped for whatever is seasonal just aim to keep the fruit pieces quite small so they cook more rapidly.
Recipe by Jacqueline Alwill