- Preparation time 90 mins
- Serves 8 people
- Download as PDF
60g dark chocolate, chopped
6 egg whites
Pinch of salt
440g caster sugar
1½ tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp cornflour
300ml thickened cream
Chocolate flakes and fresh strawberries to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and draw a 23cm circle in the centre as a guide.
- Pour the espresso over the dark chocolate and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir to combine and ensure the chocolate has fully melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar together in an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, until all sugar is incorporated.
- When a firm meringue has formed, fold in the white wine vinegar and cornflour. Gently swirl the coffee and chocolate mixture through the pavlova mixture so that it has a marbled look.
- Spoon the mixture inside the circle on the baking paper and lightly smooth over the top.
- Place the pavlova in the oven, reduce the heat to 150°C and bake for 1 hour. Once cooked, turn off the heat and allow the pavlova to cool in the oven until the oven goes cold.
- Place the cooled pavlova onto a serving plate. Whip the cream until soft peaks form and spoon over the pavlova. Decorate with chocolate flakes and fresh strawberries.