Smoky Baked Beans with Poached Eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, diced
- 100g smoked bacon, trimmed, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- Fresh parsley sprigs, to serve
- Toasted sourdough, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once heated, cook the onion, celery and bacon for 6-7 minutes or until light golden, stirring continuously. Add the garlic and paprika and continue stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the beans, canned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup and 80ml (1/3 cup) water and stir to combine it all. Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer uncovered, for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, fill a large deep-frying pan three-quarters with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and keep at a simmer. Carefully break 1 egg into a cup and slide into water. Poach the eggs for 1-2 minutes or until egg white is set and the yolk is still soft. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Serve beans topped with a poached egg and sprinkled with parsley.
Tip: You can make the baked beans ahead and freeze them (without the egg). Place in airtight containers and freeze for up to 1 month.