Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Poached Egg
A great weeknight dinner for the family, this Roast Veg Pasta with a perfectly poached egg will be your new go-to dish. It's also a great way to use veggies in the fridge before they turn so feel free to customise the ingredient list to work with what you have available.
- 4 eggs
- 300g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 3 cm pieces
- 3 Roma tomatoes, quartered lengthways
- Spray olive oil
- 400g penne or spiral pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50g baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer onto the tray and spray with oil and bake for 50-60 minutes, until tender and slightly caramelised.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water until al dente. Drain and return to the pan. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, and season to taste. Fold through the vegetables and spinach. Put the lid on the pan to wilt the spinach and to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat about 5 cm water in a large saucepan or deep frying pan, add a dash of vinegar and bring to a simmer. Carefully crack the eggs into a cup one at a time and slide into the water. Cook gently for 3 minutes, until the whites have set.
- Divide the pasta mixture between shallow serving bowls. Lift the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon. Top each bowl with a poached egg, and pierce so the yolk flows to create a sauce.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.