Sweet Potato & Chicken pie with tomato olive salsa
- 250g skinless chicken breast
- 700g sweet potato, peeled
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 25g (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan cheese
Tomato & olive salsa
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 200g grape tomatoes, chopped
- 55g (1/3 cup) pitted black olives, thinly sliced
- Pinch red chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly spray a small non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook chicken for 4-4 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a board and set aside to cool slightly. Shred chicken.
- Lightly spray a 24cm (base measurement) x 4cm deep pie dish with olive oil. Cut two long strips of baking paper measuring 28cm long. Place strips into the base of the dish crossing over in the middle. This will make the pie easier to remove from the dish.
- Slice sweet potatoes into thin (about 2-3mm thick) rounds. Place into a large microwave safe bowl and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Stir, cover again and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until sweet potatoes has begun to soften. Remove, drain and cool until cool enough to handle.
- Arrange sweet potato slices into pie dish, overlapping to line the base and sides.
- Squeeze out excess water from spinach.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add spinach, chicken and parmesan and stir to combine. Carefully pour filling over sweet potato base and cover dish with foil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, combine onion, tomato, olives, chilli flakes, oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve pie topped with the salsa for grownups and older kids and for babies and toddlers, cut into cubes.
Using sweet potato instead of pastry makes this pie packed with veggies. Each serve contains over 3 serves of veg.