Healthy Boiled Egg Salad Recipe
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY BOILED EGG SALAD
The humble hard boiled egg is a versatile addition to any salad. At just 74 calories per egg (310 kJ), they are one of the healthiest foods you can eat.
A great boiled egg really comes down to timing. The cooking times for soft, medium or hard boiled eggs only differ by a couple of minutes, so make sure you have a timer nearby.
With bright ingredients and delicious roasted veggies, this simple boiled egg salad recipe is anything but boring.
- 4 eggs
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets, large florets halved
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 60g baby spinach leaves
- ½ bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch mint leaves
- 1 tbsp currants
- ¼ cup tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C (fan-forced). Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Half fill a medium saucepan with cold water. Gently lower in eggs. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes for medium boiled eggs. Simmer the eggs for 8 minutes for hard boiled eggs. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to iced water. Peel and set aside.
- Toss cauliflower and chickpeas in oil, salt and pepper on a prepared tray. Roast for 25 minutes, until cauliflower is tender and starting to brown around the edges.
- For the dressing, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon, salt and pepper together until combined. Set aside.
- Toss radish, mint and currants though roast cauliflower and chickpeas. Top with halved eggs and drizzle with dressing.
- Don't boil the water too hard for the eggs: a light simmer is all that you need.
- Don't overcook the eggs, even for hard boiled eggs. The yolks will start turning grey and the whites will go rubbery.
- To peel a hard boiled egg, crack the shell all over by tapping the egg on a hard surface, then roll the egg around in your hands to loosen the shell. Run the egg under cold tap water or dip it in a bowl of cold water to help remove the shell.
- If cooking more than two eggs, make sure your eggs fit in the saucepan in a single layer.
- Don’t just glance at the clock, set a timer to get consistent boiled eggs every time.